Modular Robot – iMobot (Intelligent Modular Robot) – 11015
A novel modular robot design that incorporates four controllable degrees of freedom made up of two outer sections, and rotating faceplates at the ends of each outer section. The outer faceplates can rotate continuously, which enables individual modules to turn while crawling, or drive as though with wheels. This significantly increases the mobility of each module, allowing it to traverse a wide variety of terrain without an overcomplicated physical shape.
The Mobot educational robot broadens student participation in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education. Mobot teamwork will engage students on collaborative learning who might otherwise be inclined not to participate in classroom activities.
The Mobot is designed for K-12 students to safely learn to program robotics while learning STEM subjects seamlessly integrated. Coordinating multiple modules requires teamwork to design a well-organized visual demonstration as well as math and programming skills to produce the desired robot motions. The Mobot is rugged enough to use in a busy classroom and has software to protect itself and users from any unsafe motions. This allows students to hold the robots while running programs.
Mobot is a breakthrough modular robot system developed by Barobo, Inc. and their university partners for K-12 STEM education. A single Mobot is a fully functional robot with four degrees of freedom. It can roll, turn, crawl, stand, and tumble in addition to connecting to each other or accessories using quick release snap connectors. Mobot can be used as building blocks to create exciting shapes like a 4×4 truck, snake, dog, humanoid or anything you can imagine! Each building block is fully programmable, and can be controlled simultaneously, making it extremely versatile for a range of curriculum. Unlike many educational robots out there the Mobot is 100% wireless, no messy wires or connectors to lose. All you need is a computer with built-in Bluetooth communication or a Bluetooth dongle. Each module runs off of two rechargeable 9V batteries (included).
- Four degrees of freedom: Two body joints and two rotating faceplates.
- Six mounting surfaces to mount other modules or accessories.
- Modules and accessories attach using quick release snap connector.
- Weight: 18oz
- Speed of each joint: 120deg/sec
- Torque of each joint 100oz-in
- Bluetooth enabled.
- Absolute encoding with 0.5 deg resolution.
- Off the shelf 9V rechargeable batteries.
- 2 hour battery life nominal.
- Computer Platforms Supported.
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Mac OS X
- Graphical User Interface RobotController.
- C/C++ interpreter Ch for processing and motion control.